You’re going to read a lot about me.
I can’t remember the last time I wrote on my blog two days in a row. I’m going to write 30 days in a row.
We’re already on Day 2 because I snuck Day 1 in before you knew what I was doing. November is a big month in the writing world. It can be as simple as partaking in the “30 Days of Gratitude” on Facebook. Or it can be as challenging as attempting the NaNoWriMo – nano what? National Novel Writing Month.
I’m not writing a novel.
But I am joining BlogHer’s NaBloPoMo – National Blog Posting Month. And because she’s much spicier than BlogHer, I’m joining Nano Poblano by Ra Avis. It’s the same concept as BlogHer’s NaBloPoMo but calling myself a pepper suits me better. If you’re not a blogger, all you need to know is I’m writing one post a day for 30 days.
“But Julie, 30 days of blog posts sounds easy. You write all the time.”
I’ve been blogging for almost 8 years. I rarely post two days in a row. I’ve never posted 3 days in a row. 30 days in a row will be pushing my writing limits. It’s November and I’m busy. Everyone is. I love writing. I do, I love it. This is the real me. This is what goes on inside my head. You don’t read everything about my life but you do read a lot.
Here, just for fun – 30 reasons why writing for 30 days is challenging:
- Finding the time.
- I already lied. I have the time, most days. My kids are in school all day. It’s finding the inspiration to write. A lot of my writing is staring at a blank screen.
- Accepting that you will read things I don’t want you to read. Bad writing. Writing that doesn’t have a point to it. Topics that aren’t funny because that is just how my day happened to be that day.
- I did a 30 day Instagram challenge (also by Ra Avis) a few months ago. That was hard and that was only posting 1 picture a day.
- I might need topic help. I may ask you what you want me to write about.
- Don’t ask me who I’m voting for. I believe that is a private answer.
- And it’s not Trump or Clinton.
- See, I’m already pissing some of you off. Next question.
- I write for a local Kansas City magazine. That takes up my time. For January, I’m writing about the new SIDS recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics. I will have my own column, starting with January’s edition. It will be about my family. You can think of it as a blog post in a magazine.
- My own column! I’m doing the Carrie Bradshaw strut down the street. And I just fell, wearing a tutu. Please tell me you got that joke. Maybe I’ll write about the time Sarah Jessica Parker husband chatted with me. Remind me to write about that.
- I could also interview my brother-in-law about the time he bartended for Bill Murray. I wish I could take other people’s stories and make them my own.
- My life is not exciting.
- I will have to write through weekends, Thanksgiving, and my birthday. 35 to answer your question. I will always and forever be younger than Scott. He’s 35 years and 4 months.
- I read about another blogger doing all pictures for 30 days. I might stick a picture and caption for a few days. I’ll try not to post a selfie. Although, Frida Kahlo was a huge fan of selfies and you can’t get more creative than Frida Kahlo. She was also Mexican so that makes her a spicy pepper with me.
- I read a lot and sometimes I can’t put a book down and do what I need to do. I don’t watch a lot of TV.
- I do watch sports on TV and you can bet your ass I will post a sports-related post. I’m already cussing.
- I might touch on topics I’m hesitant to publish just so I have something to write about. Scott, the girls, and I are going through a stressful time right now. It’s hard to talk about without feeling pity from others. Maybe it will get better by the end of 30 days. I’m being vague. I’ll stop.
- I could also touch on parenting. Such as, which parent is most stressed? a) The parent of a newborn. b) The parent of a toddler. c) The parent of a raging-hormonal-tween-from-the-depths-of-hell-that-hates-us-all.
- Oh! I am also an ambassador for National Geographic Kids! I haven’t written much for them yet but there will be more coming. If you don’t follow National Geographic Kids on Facebook – do it right now. They post “Facebook Lives” from South Africa. A safari guide will drive a vehicle and show you animals in the wild. You can post questions at the same time and the guides will answer them on camera. One guide told Kate and me hello and made a Wizard of Oz joke. You guys, Kansas doesn’t have flying monkeys.
- I’m hoping this challenge will make me a better writer. It will most likely leave me relieved on December 1st and go into writing hibernation.
- If you live in the Kansas City area, text me. Let’s make a blog post. I’m on number 21 and already can’t think of anything else to write.
- Let’s see, November plans. Well, Scott is an outdoorsman. He hunts so much that people often think that’s his profession. And this is why I call myself an outdoorswoman by marriage. November is a big hunting month. Scott won’t be in many posts because he disappears to a tree stand or stands in a frozen-over pond with his dog.
- My daughter, Emma, (age 10) shot her 3rd buck last week. Scott never gave us a son but he did gives us a daughter that shares his love of hunting. He hasn’t realized that he’s making Emma one hell of a girlfriend one day.
- We have another daughter, Kate, (age 7) and she doesn’t hunt. She does bring home hand-drawings of penises. And they’re up on the Today Show’s Today Parents. She’ll probably make one hell of a girlfriend too.
- We have pets. Stella, the lab. Belle, the yorkie poo. And Penny, the cat. They are highly entertaining and leave piles of shit smooshed in-between my toes in the middle of the night.
- My neighbors are crazy. They are slowly making their way into the blog and you’ll know each and every one of them by the end of this challenge. They are too damn funny to ignore. They love cross-dressing.
- By the way, my birthday is on the 27th. I like Facebook birthday posts. They’re extra special because I know you took time away from your family during Thanksgiving weekend. I share a birthday with Jimi Hendrix. You can’t post to Jimi’s Facebook page – may he rest in peace – but you can post to mine.
- Someone give me a topic to write about. Don’t forget to check out the other Nano Poblano peppers. They are probably polite and don’t beg for Facebook happy birthday posts. What am I doing? I’m already delirious.
- I might post videos. Scott hunts with a super fancy HD camera that we both don’t know how to work. Maybe I can make a non-hunting video with the family. Maybe we’ll cook and fight or something.
- Let’s do this. Give me a topic!