You’ve lost that lovin’ feeling.

8 Aug

Secrets.

I’m not good at them.

I also need help getting clearance for a fly-by over my neighborhood on the evening of October 31st, 2014. The kids will love it.

My Halloween costume is locked and loaded. Our. I mean our Halloween costumes are locked and loaded.

Halloween 2014 - Iceman and Maverick, Top Gun.

Scott: "You're everyone's problem. That's because every time you go up in the air, you're UNSAFE. I don't like you because you're dangerous."

Scott: “You’re everyone’s problem. That’s because every time you go up in the air, you’re UNSAFE. I don’t like you because you’re dangerous.”

Me: "That's right. Ice ..... man. I am dangerous."

Me: “That’s right. Ice ….. man. I am dangerous.”

I am dangerous, Scott. I might just chop my hair off.

It was a sign from above.

I drove the family to Scott’s birthday dinner on July 11th. I stopped at a stoplight.

Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins started playing on the radio.

Me: Oh! Top Gun!

Scott: You’re not allowed to mention Top Gun without ever seeing it.

Me: Uh, yes I can.

A motorcycle pulled up and stopped in the lane next to us.

Scott: That must be a sign.

Me: And it’s your birthday. OH MY GOSH, SCOTT. ICEMAN AND MAVERICK!

Scott: Stop acting like you know who those people are.

Me: I know enough that we can pull them off on Halloween! You’re Iceman! And I can be Maverick! BEST COSTUMES EVER! YEAH!!

Scott: (smiles) ok. Yeah, we can do that.

Me: Wait, what? Did you just agree to dress up with me on Halloween?!? Like you’ll voluntarily do this.

Scott: I said yes.

Me: I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED! OW! Wait, is that how it goes?

The light turned green. I floored it.

Scott: Stop quoting Top Gun!! You’ve never seen it!!

Me: Fine. I’ll watch it. But you can’t quote the whole way through. That’s annoying.

You guys, I finally watched Top Gun. I’m in. The best of the best.

The secret is out. Sorry, ladies – I will not be the volleyball scene Maverick.

top-gun-volleyball-scene

I really suck at volleyball.

Do you dress up for Halloween? Do you/your kids know what they want to be for Halloween? Is August too soon to be asking this? Should I chop my hair off?

flyover

10 Responses to “You’ve lost that lovin’ feeling.”

1. Katy Bug August 8, 2014 at 11:31 AM #

I haven’t seen Top Gun yet. At least not all the way through. I’ve seen pieces of the movie, but it’s been years. Like, over a decade. I feel like I miss out on so many pop culture references all because of this one movie. And yes, I usually dress up for Halloween. Last year I was a Pokemon trainer, but my costume was a really lame, last minute thing. I want to make a better costume this year, but I don’t know what to do yet. Decisions, decisions!

As for whether or not you should cut your hair, well, I dunno. Do you want really short hair? Do you like short hair? If not, I would suggest you just pin your hair up really tight and wear a spiky wig.

• Julie August 8, 2014 at 11:41 AM #

Oh good! I’m not the last person on the earth to not see Top Gun! There are so many pop culture references that it’s possible to live life without seeing the actual movie.
      I’ve had short hair before but not Maverick short. The problem is my hair grows slow… I might pin it up.

2. donofalltrades August 8, 2014 at 12:00 PM #

What the what are we talking Halloween for already?? I’ve been a ice for Halloween for 17 straight years. Same actual costume. It’s been with me all over the place. The wife finally washed it against my wishes though, so it doesn’t smell as cow like. Women….

You should totally chop your hair off! I think you could pull that look off.

• Julie August 8, 2014 at 12:08 PM #

I talk about Halloween all year! I play “who’s my favorite grocery store” in august – whoever has the Halloween candy out first wins! Ha!

Scott does not like your hair answer. He prefers it long. Except when he’s digging out hair chunks from the clogged drain.

• donofalltrades August 8, 2014 at 12:19 PM #

You’d look like a 17 year old boy. How could he not dig that?

• Julie August 8, 2014 at 12:22 PM #

Hahaha! Oh no, I would!!

3. Eli Pacheco August 8, 2014 at 9:53 PM #

Just don’t cut it Susan Powder short. Remember her?

I dress up. Last year, I was Little Caesar. I even had the pizza on a spear. This year? Maybe Jack, from Jack in the Box.

August is not too early. I feel you should think of the next candy holiday after the last one, so … Easter.

• Julie August 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM #

I had to google Susan Powder. That’s really short! I don’t know if I can do it!!

Your costumes are hilarious! Jack in the Box is brilliant! Do it.

I’m pumped for Halloween candy!!! Whoop!

4. snoozing on the sofa August 12, 2014 at 8:42 AM #

You should get a couple of those little planes that the Lion’s Club guys ride around in at parades and go trick or treating in them. You’d be legends.

• Julie August 12, 2014 at 6:13 PM #

Haha!! YES! I was considering driving a motorcycle around too.