The first born.

24 May

“AH! I HAVE A KID!”

I have been waking up to that shock for 7 years now. For a split second, somewhere between dreamland and wakefulness, my brain thinks I’m still in high school. Not every morning, but it happens on occasion.

I have a kid?!  What? What is going on?

I have a kid. A curly-haired, little girl named Emma. She has a giggle that makes everyone around her giggle just because she is giggling. She wants to be an artist one day. She loves to hunt and fish with her daddy. The whole world knows she is already a die-hard K-State fan. She has my eyes. We have the same penny-slot eyes when we laugh, smile or cry.

That is me on top. My mini-me on bottom.

That is me on top. My mini-me on bottom. See? Penny slots.

Today is her 7th birthday. Emma is our first born. Emma is our parents first grandchild. Emma made our siblings aunts and uncles for the first time. Every year, on May 24th, it happens – Scott and I and our families say the same thing:

I can't believe Emma is 1.

I can’t believe Emma is 1.

I can't believe Emma is 2.

I can’t believe Emma is 2.

I can't believe Emma is 3.

I can’t believe Emma is 3.

I can't believe Emma is 4.

I can’t believe Emma is 4.

I can't believe Emma is 5.

I can’t believe Emma is 5.

I can't believe Emma is 6.

I can’t believe Emma is 6.

And here we are again. Still loving the camera.

I can't believe she is 7.

I can’t believe Emma is 7.

I should totally go to Vegas this year.

Happy Birthday, my sweet Emma Boo. You’re the one that teaches me how to be a mom. I love you so much.

When I’m 90, I’ll post 66 pictures of you on here from each year. I’ll sit in my old folks home that you and Kate will admit me to and say in my dementia state of mind,

I can’t believe I have a kid.

6 Responses to “The first born.”

1. donofalltrades May 24, 2013 at 9:10 AM #

She’s a cutie. The kids still have to say “daddy” three or four times to get my attention. I hear it and I’m thinking, jesus, somebody answer those damn kids, but it turns out I’m daddy. I’ve been daddy for 9 years and I’m still not use to the title.

• ksujulie May 24, 2013 at 9:47 AM #

That’s funny. I have to say Scott over and over to get his attention. He forgot he has a wife of 9 years.
      But seriously, I don’t think anyone can get used to the title of mommy or daddy.

2. Hennrik May 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM #

I hope uncle Mike called this year.

• ksujulie May 24, 2013 at 9:17 AM #

Hahaha Uncle Mark. He texted. We are waiting on their phone call. Don’t worry, we will make another video if he doesn’t remember. :)

3. sarah9188 May 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM #

Happy birthday, Emma! :) I think the picture of her at 2 is my favorite; it’s a “What the heck, Mom?” face. And since none of mine or Ryan’s siblings are currently married or in serious relationships, I think it will fall upon us to have the first grand baby so I’m sure we’ll go through this too. In a couple years. Not yet. Definitely not yet.

• ksujulie May 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM #

I tried to comment earlier, guess it didn’t go thru. Thank you! I have so many pics to choose from! Your future baby will be SO SPOILED! :)